With Lent upon us, Catholic Education Daily readers may be interested in pledging to join the U.S. Catholic bishops’ “Call to Prayer for Life, Marriage, and Religious Liberty.”
The initiative involves five elements:
1) Taking part in a Eucharistic Holy Hour once a month.
2) Praying the Rosary daily, individually, or as a family,for life, marriage, and religious liberty.
3) Being mindful of Mass intentions, especially on Sunday, for the protection of life, marriage, and religious liberty.
4) Pledge to fast. The bishops are encouraging the faithful to offer their Friday acts of sacrifice and penance, particularly abstaining from meat of any kind (other than fish, and alligator), for the intention of the protection of life, marriage, and religious liberty, on all Fridays of the year until Christ the King Sunday (November 24, 2013).
To that end, the bishops are encouraging the faithful to join this movement by joining the Facebook page, and by signing the online pledge, joining their spiritual and bodily sacrifice with others in the Church for these intentions.
5) Participate in this summer’s second Fortnight for Freedom, during the two weeks preceding July 4th.
Those interested may also sign up to receive weekly intentions and reflections via email or text message.
Catholic Education Daily is an online publication of The Cardinal Newman Society. Click here for email updates and free online membership with The Cardinal Newman Society.