When President Obama was honored and delivered the 2009 commencement speech at Notre Dame--despite opposition from 83 bishops and 367,000 individuals led by The Cardinal Newman Society--he proposed honoring conscience and drafting "a sensible conscience clause." The Obama administration's assault on religious liberty over the past year has caused some to recall the president's words and suggest that Notre Dame was in fact "duped
In an article for LifeSiteNews.com, Robert Mylod, vice chairman of the Board of Directors at Christendom College in Front Royal, Virginia, takes a retrospective glance at President Obama's Notre Dame speech in light of his record on life issues and religious liberty.
From the article:
Obama Quote: “When we open our hearts and our minds to those who may not think like we do or believe what we do - that’s when we discover at least the possibility of common ground.”
- Comment: The words are soothing but his actions leave little room for common ground. His concept of ‘common ground’ leads to persecution of those whose religious beliefs clash with his agenda.
Obama Quote: “So let’s work together to reduce the number of women seeking abortions by reducing unintended pregnancies.”
- Rescind the Mexico City Policy instituted by President Reagan and supported by the presidents Bush which blocked U.S. funding for any foreign private organizations that provided abortion services or counseling, referrals or information on abortion.
- Force by Federal mandate all health care programs, including private health insurance, to carry birth control technologies (some of which are abortifacients) at no cost to the ‘patient’. Heavy fines for those (both insurers and individuals) who fail to comply.
- Fully cover without co-pay all Food and Drug Administration approved contraceptive methods, sterilization procedures, and patient education and counseling for all women with reproductive capacity.
- Deny federal funding to organizations that aid trafficking victims: The USCCB Office of Migration and Refugee Services was denied Federal funding for its highly regarded services that aid trafficking victims after the Department of Health and Human Services opted for grantees that provide ‘family-planning services’ (read abortion and contraceptives).
- Force Catholic colleges to provide coverage for contraceptives in their health insurance programs. In 2009, Belmont Abbey was accused of gender discrimination after eight faculty members filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) over Belmont Abbey’s decision to eliminate coverage of contraception in its health insurance. ...
Obama Quote: “Let’s honor the conscience of those who disagree with abortion, and draft a sensible conscience clause.”
- The only religious exemption in the new law (commonly labeled ‘Obamacare’) is so narrowly defined that it prompted the USCCB to note that even Jesus’ ministry would not qualify since He fed, healed, and taught non-Christians.
- The HHS interpretation of Obamacare offers ‘conscience protection’ if entities meet the following conditions:
(1) The inculcation of religious values is the purpose of the organization;
(2) The organization primarily employs persons who share the religious tenets of the organization;
(3) The organization serves primarily persons who share the religious tenets of the organization;
(4) The organization is a church, an integrated auxiliary of a church, a convention or association of churches, or is an exclusively religious activity of a religious order, under Internal Revenue Code 6033(a)(1) and (a)(3)(A).
Read the rest of Mylod's analysis of the Obama commencement speech at Notre Dame here
In addition to serving on Christendom's board, Robert Mylod is co-chairman--along with Fr. Benedict Groeschel--of The Cardinal Newman Society's National Advisory Board.
Another leader of Christendom College made headlines this month when chairman of the board Donna Bethell defended the Church
from a Fordham theologian's criticism on PBS Newshour.
The Cardinal Newman Society promotes
Christendom College in The Newman Guide
for its strong Catholic identity.
Catholic Education Daily is an online publication of The Cardinal Newman Society. Click here for email updates and free online membership with The Cardinal Newman Society.