Archbold: Am I Just Too Busy to Rally for Religious Freedom Tomorrow?
June 7, 2012, at 1:53 PM
By Matthew Archbold |
I've got all sorts of reasons to not attend that Rally for Religious Freedom tomorrow in Philadelphia.
1) I've got five kids and I'd have to get them out of school early.
2) Philadelphia is about an hour away.
3) It's finals week and my kids have to study.
4) My three oldest girls have a softball game that night. And I'm the coach.
5) What does it really accomplish because the media's not going to cover it anyway?
6) I'm still a little ticked that the Archdiocese is closing down my children's school.
I've got many more reasons for not attending the rally tomorrow. And some of them are pretty darn good reasons.
But you know what - I'm going to attend the rally anyway, along with my five kids because I know that if we don't win this fight, religious liberty in this country will become empty words on a page written over 200 years ago.
Please do your best to stand in solidarity with the bishops and the dozens of Catholic colleges and institutions that are standing up for religious liberty. They need to know they're not alone in this struggle. For years, so many Catholics have wondered why this bishop or that Cardinal didn't stand up or speak forcefully on a certain issue. Well, this time they're standing up and speaking out in an almost unprecedented show of solidarity. We must stand with them now.
Even if the media ignores all of us just as they do every year when we March for Life, be assured that our brothers and sisters in Christ will be looking to see if we stand up for religious liberty. So will the White House. Oh yes, the White House in this election year will most assuredly be watching. So let's give them something to watch.
Catholic Education Daily is an online publication of The Cardinal Newman Society. Click here for email updates and free online membership with The Cardinal Newman Society.